Sunday, September 9, 2007

Fruit Basket Centerpiece

I'm finally starting to clean out and toss out (I mean recycle) all the wedding ideas I'd been stashing. I have a couple years' worth of Martha Stewart Good Things pages ripped from her magazines. I planned dozens of weddings in my head and fought hard for a few elements to be included in what eventually became our wedding. Sadly, some of my favorites did not make the final cut. But, fortunately for a wedding blogger, I now have a file of those favorites to pass on to you, dear readers.

Wouldn't these fruit basket centerpieces be adorable at a fall harvest wedding? Imagine them filled with bright red and green apples and pears. My thoughts were that guests could snack on the fruit before and after dinner. (I was told by more than one person that that was a silly idea. Whole fruit is too messy to eat while wearing nice clothes. Really? Everyone dove into the fresh strawberries on the brie plate without hesitation, and I would think juicy red strawberries are much messier than apples.)

A basket of fruit can be used in any season. Just check the farmers' markets for what's fresh and local. In late fall or winter you could also fill them with small gourds or pine cones. Baskets can be collected on sale at craft stores or stores like Cost Plus World Market, or at summer flea markets. Cheap, rustic table decor.

(Image from Martha Stewart's Weddings.)

No comments: