Friday, July 6, 2007

Recap--Ceremony and Dinner

I haven't wanted to share too many details of the rest of the wedding until I have wonderful photographs to illustrated them with. We have the photos. But they are not ready for public viewing yet. (We've been loving looking at them though!) So, there's lots of fodder for future posts, once those photos are ready. For the time being...

The ceremony. We had four little girls present and gave them each bouquets and the option to sit with their parents or walk down the aisle with us. Two of my younger cousins decided to walk down the aisle. So we sent them down, then my cousin and Mike's brother, who were the maid of honor and best man. Then Mike and I walked down hand in hand! (We walked down the aisle to the first 30 seconds or so of Loquasto International Film Festival, by Mark Mothersbaugh from the Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou soundtrack.) Our officiant was a friend that Mike's known since college and I've known for almost as long as I've known Mike. He said some very nice things about us and how we met (including how it's all Vicky's husband's doing). Then Mike and I read our vows to each other. We exchanged rings. We kissed. The end. Maybe took 20 minutes!

I think it was after the ceremony that the photographer took some portraits of us with our families. They were pretty casual. And we did them on the grass right next to the ceremony site so other guests could take pictures, or just watch with their drinks and appetizers in hand. We weren't sequestered away for any length of time.

Finally it was dinner time! I realized suddenly I was starving. People had been putting glasses of water in my hand all evening long, but no one brought me any of the yummy-looking appetizers I had so painstakingly selected. Tiny twice-baked potatoes with sour cream and mini apple-chicken sausages with crushed peanuts. I arrived at our table to find the servers had left a plate of them just for us! I will rave about our caterer, Serves You Right, fully at a later time. But the food was amazing! And serving went smoothly. Since we only had about 50 guests, no one had to wait too long for their turn at the buffet. Full guests equal happy guests. Mike and I had a sweetheart table. I hate that name, but loved the concept. It allowed us to have some quiet time to actually eat and enjoy our food. We were first in line for the buffet! And servers took care of us well, bringing glasses of lemonade and champagne and water. (I drank so much water! And only half a glass of champagne the whole night!)

I think that's all I've got in me right now. Reliving the night is exhausting!

No comments: